Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Week 4 Readings

The article on databases was interesting in that I hadn't known before that there were so many different ways of organizing data: according to the hierarchical, network, and relational models, at the least. It makes perfect sense that not every block of data can be organized in the same way as every other, since there are so many ways that data can relate to one another.
I also didn't realize how many applications there are for metadata. It's somehow odd to think that every time I tag a picture online or write a caption, I'm providing information about information, even though that's a fairly straightforward description of what I'm doing. The fact that some metadata actually exists from the time of certain data's creation is noteworthy.
The Dublin Core Data Model article reminded me of some of my readings in the philosophy of language over the past few years. It really is difficult to try to invent a natural way of naming and connecting every thing in the world. And that task just gets more difficult when you realize that you have to somehow leave room for speakers of other languages to insert their own names and make their own connections. It's scary to consider!

4 comments:

JPM73 said...

Rand,

I agree tht it is difficult to try to invent a natural way of naming and connecting everything in the world.

I mean there a lot of questions that need to be asked like who will be in charge of doing this? What is the standard to be set and followed? Can that standard be changed according to upgrades in technology? And those just a few I can name off of the top of my head.

Unknown said...

Agreed Rand, anyone using Delicious and such is already engaging this process. I have a hard enough time using a standardized language that primarily serves ... me, let alone worrying about a population of users.

Eurocastle Peanutter said...

To jump on the "Randwagon" (sorry, I'm corny) I also didn't realize that there are various types of db's. Having worked with only one (MS Access, which, by the way is relational) I realize how difficult it can be to maintain a database yet I'm able to search "on-line" databases with little effort. What gives?

Also, I never thought of tags as being metadata until I read your blog. Thanks!

NA said...

Hi, Thanks for your comment on my blog!
I like your points about all 3 articles, especially the Dublin Core Data Model one. It makes a lot more sense when considered in terms of the philosophy of language, and the difficulty to name anything in a universal way. Metadata librarians must always be on edge, because if their work is not perfectly precise and thoughtful, it's completely not worthwhile.
I agree with the commenter above, that I didn't realize tags were metadata. We are making metadata in our flickr assignments wow!